Please Help Find Missing & Endangered Children - AMBER Alerts

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Dead EchoLink Conference Servers

 

I know this issue has been brought up before, but I wanna bring it up yet again because it seems as though we STILL have a problem with DEAD conference servers.

By that, I mean conference servers with lots of links and nodes connected to them, but VERY LITTLE IF ANY ACTIVITY AT ALL ON THEM!!!

One example I note is the *COLORADO* conference server.  Lots of nodes, links, and even a few users on there now and again, but LITTLE TO NO ACTIVITY ON THERE.

Now I can already see what your instant reaction is gonna be.  You're gonna say something like "Well why don't you stop griping and DO SOMETHING about it".  Well to that end, I say that you and I know that A BUNCH of these servers were created for the purpose of linking a bunch of so-called "private" repeaters owned by a bunch of Hams who just might all be related to one another, but just live in different parts of the state, country, or even the world.  Hey STRANGER things have happened.

To THIS end, I have to ask these people WHY do they feel they need a full-blown conference server to do what an instance of EchoLink in conferencing mode on a separate IP address with a limited amount of slots WHICH ARE ALL CONSTANTLY TAKEN UP can do?  What's the purpose?  I can see the need to have a bunch of privately-owned repeaters linked together for on-air family get-togethers or whatever goes on, but do you have to keep it open whereas ANYBODY can connect IN THE HOPES of finding somebody to talk to?

I dunno, maybe I'm just brewin' up a storm where there isn't one, but I just have to wonder WHY there are so many conference servers that likely don't get very much activity on them.  I know of some "-R" and "-L" nodes (One of which is MINE - shameless plug I know) that get MORE activity than some of the DEAD conference servers out there (And many of them DO **NOT** have any nets on them!!).

Anyhow....I just had to get on my soapbox and SAY SOMETHING about it.  Feel free to flame away if you want or care to.

No comments: